Detail of drawing by A.J. Agate
U. S. Ex. Ex. Web Resources:
Other U. S. Exploring Expedition Links:
Expeditions and Discoveries: Sponsored Exploration and Scientific Discovery in the Modern Age. Sponsored by the Harvard University Open Collections Program.
United States South Seas Exploring Expedition (aka the Wilkes Expedition), 1838–1842
This page delivery service presents scanned images of all of the unpublished materials from the U. S. Exploring Expedition at Harvard and includes some of the published volumes.
Hints for finding materials on this site:
Selected Manuscripts and Records in Expeditions and Discoveries describes a portion of the manuscripts and records in the collection.
- Browse only manuscripts and records in the collection lists other manuscript materials in the collection.
- Browse only Records of the United States Exploring Expedition, 1838–1842 includes the materials that are part of this United States Exploring Expedition archival collection are all listed under the heading Expeditions and Discoveries Resources on the Wilkes Expedition. Our collection is the third bulleted item. Click on this link and a detailed record for this collection will appear. Each folder of material is listed as a single digital object.
- Scan the list and select links.
[Ms. lists of plants collected in Philippines, Mangsi Islands, Singapore, Cape of Good Hope, St. Helena by Pickering, Brackenridge, and Rich. WE 3. Provides access to page images of this portion of the collection.]
A HREF="http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:FMUS.GRA:2560935">http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:FMUS.GRA:2560935 .
- Browse all items in the collection lists.
- Please feel free to Contact the Botany Libraries Archivist for more information and assistance.
The Smithsonian Institution has an excellent collection of United States Exploring Expedition materials.
The website is broken down into two sections:
- Learn More about the Expedition is a collection of articles about specific topics related to the people and science of the expedition
- Follow the Expedition provides scans of Charles Wilkes' Narrative and the other scientific volumes associated with the voyage.
Collection Note, Provenence, and Scope & Content Notes.
Other U. S. Ex. Ex. materials in our collections
Back to main link page