Farlow Reference Library of Cryptogamic Botany: George E. Francis
Farlow Reference Library of Cryptogamic Botany
George E. Francis
George E. Francis was a physician who lived in Worcester, MA and was interested in mycology. The few dated items in this collection are from approximately the 1880's through 1895. One of the newspaper articles included in the binder states that Francis was the vice-president of the Worcester County Horticultural Society, and gave a lecture on edible and poisonous mushrooms on September 26, 1895.
Scope and Content:
This collection consists of the contents of one large binder belonging to George E. Francis, labeled American Fungi. It mainly includes illustrations and information on various types of fungi, especially mushrooms. Items are listed as they were found in the binder, which was organized alphabetically with some exceptions.
A Farlow Reference Library bookplate is found inside the front cover of the binder and reads, "Willey Collection gift of V.A. Clarke."
- 1. Inside front cover of binder
- The Season of Mushrooms, September 27, 1895, newspaper article.
- The Mycologists, October 4, '95, newspaper article.
- 2. A
- Mycology in a city, manuscript.
- G.E. Francis, American Fungi, Local Lists of Fungi and Local Flora.
- G.E. Francis, American Fungi, Hymenomycetes.
- Joys of Mushroom Hunting, article from NY Times, Dec. 11, 1898.
- Agaricus arventis
- Armillaria mellea
- Agaricus melleus
- Agaricus aeruginosus
- Agaricinees, Cortinarius torvus
- Agaricinees, Cortinarius saturninus
- Agaricus Campestris et arvensis, or mushroom proper
- Agaricus procerus, or parasol mushroom
- Poisonous or false champignons
- 3. B
- Boletus bicolor
- Boletus clintonianus Peck.
- Boletus felleus
- Boletus Paluster Peck.
- Boletus spectabilis Peck.
- Boletus felleus
- Boletus piperatus
- Boletus satanas
- 4. C
- Cantharellus cibarius Fr.
- Coprinus Comatus, or Shaggy-Maned Mushroom
- Coprinus comatus
- Clathrus cancellatus
- Continarius coerulescens
- Clitofulus prumulus
- 5. F
- 6. H
- Hygraphorus conicus
- Agaricus (Hypholoma) sublateritius Schaeff
- 7. I
- Hygrophorus (htgrocybe) calyptraeformis Berk.
- 8. L
- Lactarius rufus
- Lepiota procerus
- Lactarius piperatus
- Agaricus (lactarius) deliciosus
- Lepiota cepoestipes var. cretaceus
- Lycoperdaceae, or Puff-balls
- 9. M
- Marasmius oreades Fr. (edible)
- Marasmius Oreades, or Fairy-ring champignon
- 10. P
- Pleurotus ostrteatus
- Phallus impudicus
- 11. Q
- Phalloidees, 2
- 12. R
- Russula emetica
- Russula heterophylla
- Edible russulas
- 13. S
- 14. Y
- Phallus caninus
- Amanita muscarius
- Poisonous mushrooms of the genus Amanita
- Amanita vernus
- Agaricus (Amanita) vernus, or poisonous white mushroom
- 15. Z
- 16. Binder
| Farlow Archives Page | Botany Libraries Home Page | Harvard University Herbaria Home Page |