The William Gilson Farlow (1844-1919)
Series I: Correspondence
Series II: Research Materials
Series III. Materials Pertaining to the Bibliographical Index of North American Fungi
Series IV: Materials Pertaining to Icones Farlowianae
Series V: Manuscripts
Series VI: Exsiccatae
Series VII: Academic Materials
Series VIII: Specimen Lists
Series IX: Card Files
Series X: Financial Records
Series XI: Photographs, Plates, and Illustrations
Series XII: Sketchbooks and Scrapbooks
Series XIII: Proffessional Organizations and Committeess
Series XIV: Medals and Artifacts
Series XV: Oversized Diplomas and Awards
Series XIV: Medals and Artifacts
- Top Shelf
- Franch art pottery vase sculpted and glazed by Delphin Massier (1836-1907). box marked "Purchased in Nice", circa 1900
- Farlow academic hood from University of Glascow, 1901
- Farlow academic hood from University of Wisconsin, 1904
- Hanging given to Farlow from Professor Kingo Miyabe (1860-1951). Silk, hand painted and embroidered. Label reads "Long Life and Happiness
- The Dramatic Works of Shakespeare, given to Farlow from Dr. Edward Barnet in 1910
- Farlow's cane
- Harvard University Gazette Memorial Minute for William Gilson Farlow. 1 original under glass and 1 photocopy
- Middle Shelf
- Farlow's handlenses, 2 lenses.
- Ivory ruler given to Farlow by Asa Gray
- Photo plate of young Farlow
8 mounted oversized photographs. Labelled on the back in Farlow's hand," Utrecht University, 1899"
- Uppsala scrapbook, 1907. Contains graduation programs, invitations, maps, and newspaper articles dealing with the 200th celebration of Linnaeus' birth.
- Small laurel wreath from Uppsala celebration, 1907. (Large Laurel wreath hangs in the Farlow Reading Room)
- Artificial Linnea Borealis from Uppsala celebration, 1907
- Farlow's gradualtion ring from Uppsala celebration, 1907
- Bronze medal. Museum Histoire Naturelle. Farlow Correspondant 3 November 1910.**
- Bronze medal. 1856-1906 Semi-Centunnial. George Englemann - Academy of Science, St. Louis.
- Bronze medal. Memorial for Schwedener (1829-1909), 1909
- Bronze medal. Carolus Linnaeus, 1907 **
- Bronze medal. Louisiana Purchase. **
- Bronze medallion. Theobold Smith, Boston 1915.
- Silver medallion. Evolution des Etres Organises Sorbonne, 1888.
- Silver medallion. Harvard Natural History Society, 1837.
- Silver medallion. Pierian Sodality, 1808.
- Silver medal. Front reads "ARS Celare Arteim K., 1859." Back reads "W. G. Farlow, 1866."
- Two silver medallions. Gift of Franklin, 1858 & 1861
- Wedgewood medallion. Linnaeus. (Gift of Sir. J.D. Hooker)
- Wedgewood medallion. Sir Joseph Dalton Hooker.
- Bottom Shelf
- Box 1:
- Moudians lactarius from Middlebury Vt
- 4 mounted photos of Norway
- 7 prints bought by Farlow in Stockholm, 27 May 1907
- 5 photos of Groningen Holland, 1899
- Box 2:
- 9 mounted photos of Bermuda
- 16 mounted photos of Padua, Italy, 1892
- 14 mounted photos of Uppsala, Sweden, 1892
- Box 3 - 16 mounted photos of the Botanical Garden in Padua
- Box 4:
- 9 photos of France
- 2 mounted photos of Moscow and a print of a Russian costume
- 1 mounted photo of Bonn, Germany
- 13 photos of Montpellier, France, 1892
- 3 photos of Grand Menan Canada
- 4 mounted photos of Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA. Taken by Mr. Wardsworth, 1891
- Undated stereoscopic slides
- Souvenir Album of Washington Botanical Club, 1891
- Small photo album containing 30 photographs, many campus scenes, undated
- Photo album containing 16 photos of Bermuda. 9 of these listed as "Mr. Hyde's photos"
** These medals have corresponding letters and/or certificates in Series XV: Oversized Diplomas and Awards.
Back to Biographical Sketch
Back to Series Descriptions
| Farlow Archives
Page | Botany
Libraries Home Page | Harvard
University Herbaria Home Page |